Be a Mentor
Sign up to attend a Volunteer Information Meeting to learn more about volunteering with WAY Alliance. All mentors must attend an Information Meeting prior to applying, so if you are unable to make it to a formal meeting, please contact us to make other arrangements.
What do WAY Alliance mentors do?
Mentors focus on developing a relationship with their matched youth and assisting the youth in meeting their personal goals. The mentor and youth meet on a weekly basis for a minimum of eight hours a month. View a detailed description of a WAY Alliance mentor (PDF).
What are the requirements for becoming a mentor?
WAY Alliance mentors must:
- Have an interest in working with youth with foster care experience, 14 through 24 years of age
- Be at least 25 years of age
- Attend a Volunteer Information Meeting, submit a mentor application, and complete the screening process, including a complete background check
- Successfully complete pre-match mentor training (online and in-person) and a post-training interview
- Agree to complete all required post-match mentor trainings (two per year)
- Agree to a minimum one-year commitment to developing a relationship with your matched youth (not including time required for screening and training)
- Commit to meeting with your matched youth weekly, for at least eight hours a month
- Communicate regularly with WAY Alliance staff to submit meeting and activity reports
- Be willing to travel the required distance to maintain the relationship with your matched youth. (WAY Alliance will make every effort to match you with a youth who resides in your general area.)
- Have a reliable vehicle, current insurance, and a clean driving record
- Adhere to all WAY Alliance policies and procedures.
What are the steps to becoming a WAY Alliance mentor?
Because our mentors work with such a vulnerable population, we want to ensure they are well equipped and the right fit for our program and for working with their matched youth. There are seven steps that much be successfully completed before you can be confirmed as a WAY Alliance mentor.
STEP 1: Interest
Send us an email to let us know you’re interesting in becoming a mentor.
STEP 2: Information Meeting
Attend a 1-hour Volunteer Information Meeting.
STEP 3: Application
Submit an online mentor application (link provided at the Information meeting).
STEP 4: Interview
If your application is approved, we’ll contact you to set up an in-person interview.
STEP 5: Screening
Upon a successful interview, you can begin the screening process, including a complete background, driving record, and references check.
STEP 6: Training
If you pass the screening process, you can begin mentor training.
STEP 7: Post-Training Interview
Once you have successfully completed mentor training, you’ll have and a final post-training interview.
After you've successfully completed all seven steps of the process, you can be officially confirmed as a WAY Alliance mentor and be matched with a youth.
Interested in learning more about becoming a mentor?
All WAY Alliance volunteers must attend a Volunteer Information Meeting prior to applying. You can register for an meeting here. If you are unable to make it to a formal meeting, please contact us to make other arrangements. You may also submit the form below with your questions.